There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.

Sounds of Silence in Cairo

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
It is late Sunday night in central Cairo. From my spot, the streets are eerily quiet but the energy is vibrating at a high buzz. We’re under curfew these days. Imposed four days ago on Wednesday, a 6 am to 7 pm curfew and state of emergency was declared after the army and pro-Morsi supporters decided to take the option of no-win ­­ no-win negotiation.

The last few days, between violent clashes, we move about the city squeezing in errands or work, hoping that we don’t drive into danger and avoid army repercussions by returning to our neighborhood before 7 pm curfew. Back in our neighborhood, we push the limits of the early evening curfew. One more cup of tea my friend, it’s only a few minutes past 11.

I am grateful to everyone that has contacted me over this last week. I realize that I haven’t posted in many days.  My husband and I took a long weekend trip to Alexandria to enjoy the sea and it turned into a week-long stay.
     We were going to return to Cairo on Wednesday, but ended up staying put at a friend’s flat. Roads into Cairo were closed and we really didn't want to get trapped in any of the violence that took place that day. In Alexandria, we were very close to the fighting. I found myself becoming unnerved a few times as we were mere blocks away from the gunfire, angry chants, helicopter surveys, and violent struggles.

Today, we drove the 250-kilometre drive from central Alexandria to return home to downtown Cairo. Talk about going from one hot spot to another! We planned the drive to arrive into Cairo before the rumored protests were scheduled to start this afternoon. Tanks and soldiers occupy our neighborhood again.

Now that I am reunited with a computer, I feel like I should write something more about what is happening here in Egypt.
    But really, I am burned out. It is difficult to be anywhere in this country without talk about the political situation. The last few days, other than interrupting conversations to discuss what is for dinner, all words are about politics. I've learned more than my share of Egyptian military and political history.
   Since 30 June, politics in Egypt has gone conspicuously awry. Protests. Sit-ins. Against. For. Attack. Defend. Tamarod. Muslim Brotherhood. Rebel. Ikwani. Military. Islamic. Sisi. Morsi. … Nassar. Sadat.
  Now, Wednesday 14 August happened and it all changed again. The psychological warfare turned to street warfare. We look into an abyss.

I have many more words to write and yet I have nothing more to write.
Keep peace in your thoughts, in your words, and in your mind. It is the best defense against darkness.

Because he is a favorite poet of mine, I leave you with the first verse of Anthem by Canadian poet and singer, Leonard Cohen.

The birds they sang
At the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don't dwell on what
Has passed away
Or what is yet to be.

Ah the wars they will
Be fought again
The holy dove
She will be caught again
Bought and sold
And bought again
The dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Comments

Popular Posts