The Art Collection at Mayo Clinic in Rochester

The Fibonacci curl welcomes visitors to the Mayo Clinic Center for the Spirit
Over this past year, I've been one of the caregivers for my sister, who was diagnosed with three tumours on her brain, apparently an extension of her lymphoma that was discovered at the end of 2012. During this time, I have seen the interior of one too many clinics and hospitals, but I must say that I was inspired by the beauty of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Four Houses, an large oil display adorns one of the main
waiting areas in the Gonda Building. Artist Jennifer Bartlett

The architecture and art collection of this medical institution is truly a guiding light for anyone who passes through the doors. Since its inception, Mayo has used art, architecture and beauty in surroundings to address the "spiritual aspects" of medical care.

The complex and colorful coordination of the 1,375 individual pieces dazzles as a floating sculpture across the ceiling of the Nurses' atrium.

You don't have to be an art lover or know anything about art to feel the sense of healing that is created by the environment.
I could gush on and on about the Chihuly glass sculptures, the Joan Miro lithos and the Andy Warhol screen prints...but I'd rather show you.
13 Blown glass chandeliers with metal frames, Artist Dale ChihulyThe complex and colorful coordination of the 1,375 individual pieces dazzles as a floating sculpture across the ceiling of the Nurses' atrium.
Though much of my time was spent taking my sister to and from doctor appointments, she was happy enough to allow me to stop and snap a photo of all the gorgeous art pieces that we passed.
Endangered Species, series of 10 screen prints by Andy Warhol

And the art doesn't stop at the Clinic, you can find other gems across the street at the Rochester Methodist Hospital.
Detailed hand-carved inlaid chests, Abalone and mother-of-pearl,
Gift of King Hussein and Queen Noor of Jordan


I wish that I had more time to scour the clinic for other art pieces, but I did manage to select 52 shots from my Galaxy SII of this beautiful art collection here:
art at mayo clinic in rochester minnesota, darla hueske
Among other artworks, Mayo owns two series of Warhol prints, a statue by Auguste Rodin, a mobile by Alexander Calder, several lithos by Joan Miro, and several massive light-filled sculptures by glass artist Dale Chihuly. 

Comments

Popular Posts