We stand and watch. Now what?

The days from 19 to 24 November 2012 are referred by some as the "second wave" of the Egyptian revolution. It started with a peaceful commemoration of the anniversary of the 2011 clashes on Mohamed Mahmoud Street, the main street leading from Tahrir Square to the Interior Ministry headquarters. It turned violent later in the evening and lasted for the rest of the week. For those of us that work in or near downtown, navigating the streets the days during or after violent clashes bring us added stress from our already stressful city.
     Because I walk on these streets of Cairo, I felt compelled to show an image that represents a majority of the people that I meet here in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt. Peaceful, good, hardworking people. We do not advocate violent means for political solutions.
21 November 2012: Al Kasr Al Aini Street to downtown.

 Photo Diary Entry: Wednesday 11 am 21 November 2012 This morning, I headed downtown to the print shop. As I rounded the corner from the apartment, my nose sucked in the fumes of lingering tear gas from last night's street clashes. Instantly, my head started pounding and my sinuses burned like I just sniffed a bottle of ammonia. But, I kept walking with everyone else plodding towards downtown.
     About a block from Tahrir, I stopped, along with a group of other business professionals, mostly women. A crowd of us stood at this distance, watching for awhile as packs of mostly boys and young men swarmed about in the street, pelting stones in the direction of the military and police. The fighting, referred to the Mohamed Mahmoud Street clashes is now into the third day.
     I took this photo with my Nokia E5. I focused on the foreground of business professionals, people doing errands, people just trying to get on with daily life. We ask for peaceful demonstrations for political change. In the far-distance, which tends to be the focus of most cameras, is a different set of people that have decided that violence is the way to make a difference in political change.

Comments

Popular Posts